Study Buddy programme
"My Buddy didn’t only explain all the official things to me, she took me also into students’ life. Therefore I met her friends, we had parties together or went to the theatre."
"Since I know my international Buddy, we did a lot together and met regularly. Through my Buddy, I also met a lot of other international students - and so met a lot of new friends!"
"As I said at the beginning of this semester: Study Buddy is the best idea and really helped a lot!"
"Fun, get to know new things like languages, food, culture, ... and see the own city from a new perspective."
"It’s a great chance to meet someone who you would otherwise never have any chance to know. It was a great experience to maybe eliminate misunderstandings about your country. Finally it is fantastic for me and my study buddy both, because we have discovered a lot of similarities between us."
"Great chance to get in touch with international students, get to know other cultures and exchange experiences."
"Study Buddy programme: to get integrated well, to make new friends, to have someone to advise on some matters."
Find German Friends – About the Study Buddy programme
Study Buddy is a mentoring-programme for international and German students, with the intention to encourage the contact and exchange between international and German students and so the intercultural life at the universities of Schleswig-Holstein. Two students (international & German) get in touch due to similar interests and languages.
The Study Buddies meet in their free time and do, what is fun for them. They decide, how often they want to meet.
We organize also some events, in which Study Buddies can join all together.
Sozialberatung Internationales (Student Advice Center) helps and supports all Study Buddies, if they have questions or problems.
Information for international students
You've just moved to Kiel, Lübeck or Flensburg?
You want to …
… meet German students and other people?
… improve your German?
… get inside knowledge about Kiel, Lübeck and Flensburg?
… spend your free time together with others or know, what you can do in your free time in Schleswig-Holstein?
… get some support, when you need to go to departments?
…then become a Study Buddy!
You can participate:
- once, if you just moved to Kiel, Lübeck or Flensburg as a student
- also if you don't live in one of the dormitories
- no matter, at which university you're studying
How to become a Study Buddy - Registration (online form)
We're pleased that you want to become a Study Buddy!
Please register by the following registration form. After your registration you'll get an empty email ("Anmeldung / Registration Study Buddy). After some days we'll send you one more email with more information about the programme.
Click on the city of your university to get to the registration form:
Please notice: Due to the spread of the coronavirus, registrations for the study buddy programme are no longer possible.
Questions, problems and feedback
You still have some questions about the Study Buddy programme?
Some problems or difficulties with your Study Buddy did appear?
You want to share your positive experiences due to the Study Buddy programme with us?
The Sozialberatung Internationales (Student Advice Center) supports all Study Buddies - just visit us or send an email.
Study Buddy opening hours:
every thursday 10am - 1pm
in Sozialberatung Internationales
During the semester we offer different events, so that you can get in touch with other Study Buddies, too. You’ll get more information about the events and dates via email, if you are registered in the programme.
QUESTIONS OF INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS
- I’m studying in a higher semester (not 1st semester), but I hadn’t got any Study Buddy until now. Can I register for the programme?
Yes. All international students can register once only. If you missed to register for the programme in your first semester and if you think you would make a profit from a Buddy, then it doesn’t matter how long you’re already living here.
- I have already participated as a Study Buddy in one of the last semesters. Can I register again?
International Study Buddys can participate once only.
But all former Study Buddies (internationals and Germans) can join us at any time fort he events Stammtisch (meeting in a pub) and Café. See "current events"
- I’m a PhD-student. Can I participate in the programme?
All students, who are enrolled at on of the universities can participate in the programme.
- I’m an international student and I’m living in Germany already for a longer time. I’d like to support other international students. Can I participate as a “German” Study Buddy?
If you speak German very well and if you have some German friends, then you can participate as a „German“ Study Buddy.
- I registered on the website via the online application form. Now I got an empty email. What happend? Am I registered?
If you got an empty email, then everythings all right! That means that your registration arrived in our mailbox.
Now you need to wait some days, until we read your registration. As soon as we read it, you’ll get another email with more general information and a confirmation of your registration.
- At which time of the year can I register? Are there any deadlines?
You can register at any time. We match the Buddies during the whole year.
But our events take place only during the semesters. We will be inviting you to the events for one semester. Afterwards you can go on meeting your Buddy and you can join the Stammtisch and Café as a “former” Buddy.
- How do you do the matching?
We match due to similar interests and hobbies. If we have serveral possible matches, we also match you due to your language skills.
- Is the Study Buddy programme a tandem programme (language learning by exchange)?
The Study Buddy programme ist a mentoring programme. The focus lies on spending free time together. The international students get a chance to get in touch with German students. Germans get a chance by students from all over the world to get to know other points of view. That means: It is no tandem programme, focused only on language skills.
- In the online form I can write down some wishes. I’d like to be matched with someone, who loves climbing as I do. Is it possible?
You can write down your wishes. Mostly we match due to similar interests and hobbies. We try to fulfill your wishes, but cannot guarantee it for sure. Sometimes it is simply not possible, because we have no fitting person. Then we would match you with another person.
- How long will it take approx. until I’ll be matched with a Study Buddy?
We try to do our best to match you within a time of 1 month.
I ALREADY HAVE A STUDY BUDDY…
- What happens, if I don’t go along well with my Study Buddy?
Then you can contact us. Together with you, we will consider, what we can do and if we can match you with another new Study Buddy.
- My Study Buddy doesn’t answer – what can I do now?
We ask you to try it once more to get in touch with your Buddy. If you Buddy doesn’t answer, you can write to us and we will match you with another new Buddy.
- My Buddy and I want to do something together with other Buddies. Is that possible?
Yes. You can arrange to meet others on your own. You can organize it via our facebook group, you can exchange your numbers/emails on one of our events or you can send an email to us (contact), and we forward it by our distribution list for the current semester.
- How often and how long do I need to meet my Buddy?
You and your Buddy will decide how often and how long you want to meet. You‘ll also decide together, what you will do during your meetings. We’d be glad, if you and your Buddy will be in touch at least for 1 semester.
- I‘m registered but not matched yet. Can I join the events (meetings, Stammtisch, Café, party, action) already?
Yes. Everyone can join the Stammtisch and Café: former Buddies, people who are on the waiting list, all interested people. The meetings at the beginning of a semester, the action and the party is only for those, who are registered in this semester, but also if they are not matched yet.
- Do I have to join all events?
No. The events are an additional offer to you. The focus lies on the meetings between the two Buddy partners. At the events you have the chance to meet other Buddies, to exchange your experiences and to meet people from the whole world.
- Can I join the events only together with my Buddy?
No. You can also join the events, if you Buddy has no time ot come.
- Can I bring another person to the events, if my Buddy has no time to come?
Café and Stammtisch are open to everyone, who is interested in the Study Buddy programme, even if they are not registered (yet).
The meetings, action and party is only for the registered Study Buddies.
CONTACT & QUESTIONS
- I have another question or a problem. Whom can I contact?
There are three ways:
1) You can write an email to us or call us at any time (contact)
2) You can come along during our openin hours (you don’t need any appointment): every Thursday, 10am-1pm, Advice Center Studentenwerk SH (Mensa II), room 01, Johanna Müller
3) You can talk to our student assistent, who will join all events (except for the Café).
- I have an idea to improve the Study Buddy programme. How can I give my feedback?
At the end of the semester we will send you a feedback form. There you can write down your ideas and feedback.
- How do you match?
We match due to similar interests and hobbies. If we have several matches, we also match you due to your language skills.