Useful links and downloads for international students
We offer different information for all international students, who prepare their stay in Germany or who already live in Schleswig-Holstein.
You can get the brochures as a printed version in the Social Advice Center for free.
For further information, you can contact us (Sozialberatung Internationales).
Dictionary for the refectory
How to finance your studies in Germany?
This homepage (in English) of Deutsches Studentenwerk gives useful information for all international students in Germany. You find general information about
- cost of living in Germany
- residence permit
- and a lot more
Studying in Schleswig-Holstein (brochure)
The brochure “Studying in Schleswig-Holstein” (pdf) gives useful information in English especially for your stay in Schleswig-Holstein (Kiel, Lübeck, Flensburg, Heide). It includes:
- Studentenwerk SH: Who we are
- Academic institutions
- Public institutions
- Advice and services for international students
- Acoomodation for students in SH
- Starting your life in Germany
- Everyday life in Germany
You can download the brochure (pdf) by clicking on the picture.
Videos: How to handle Germany!?
In our video series for international students, we provide information on various topics that are important for life in Germany. You can find our videos here.
How to handle Kiel?! (brochure)
This information shows possibilities how to live in Kiel, even if you don’t have much money.
It includes information about:
- free time and meeting other people
- furnishing and clothing
- cycling and bicycles
- food, hygiene, household
- transport and travelling
- deadlines, dates and letters
- Student Advice Centers for international students in Kiel
Download the information here: How to handle Kiel?!
Once a semester cooperation with others we offer an event "How to handle Germany" with useful information about different aspects of living in Germany & Kiel. Find the next event here: Events
Finding a room (information and addresses)
You're going to study in Schleswig-Holstein and you're searching for a room now?
In the brochure "Information about finding a room in Kiel / Lübeck / Flensburg / Heide" we offer:
- general information
- 4 ways of living as a student in Schleswig-Holstein (dormitories; Housing for help; living with others in a WG; living alone in a private flat)
- addresses and websites for Kiel / Lübeck / Flensburg / Heide
Download it here: Information about finding a room (pdf)
First Aid: Illustrated health dictionary
This German-English dictionary of Deutsches Studentenwerk offers various information about all topics concering health:
- Health insurance
- Visiting a doctor
- Questions you may have at a doctors or in the pharmacy
- Working and insurance
- In case of emergency
- Health with children
Important words for different situations are illustrated and named in both German and English. Moreover, at the end you'll find a detailed list of words.
You can download the dictionary here: First Aid - an illustrated health dictionary
Dictionary for the dormitory (pdf & App)
The illustrated dictionarys of Deutsches Studentenwerk about living in a dormitory shows typical situations in dormitories by several pictures:
- Installing the internet
- Washing and drying clothes
- Repairs – when the drain is blocked…
- Moving out
Different words of each sitaution are marked in the picture: in German and two other languages. You can quickly learn all the words, that you need in your daily life in the dormitory with these dictionaries:
- Dictionary – German/Chinese/English (pdf)
- Dictionary – German/Polish/Russian (pdf)
- Dictionary – German/Frensh/Spanish (pdf)
- Dictionary – German/Frensh/Arabic (pdf)
You can get the dictionary German/Chinese/English also as an App (for free):
JinGER - About life in Germany (App)
This App was made for young qualified professionals, who want to come to Germany for work. Nevertheless, it provides also interesting information about life in Germany for you as students.
You can get it in Germany, English, Spanish, Italian and Romanian and it is for free.
German news "Tagesschau" in English & Arabic
One of the most famous news in Germany – the Tagesschau – provides news from a German point of view in 100 sec. also in English and Arabic (two times a day).
- Tagesschau, 100sec. in English (link to the website)
- Tagesschau, 100sec. in Arabic (link to the website)
Rundfunkbeitrag (former "GEZ"; licence fee)
In Germany every flat has to pay the Rundfunkbeitrag (licence fee). It finances the public service broadcasting programmes.
- The Rundfunkbeitrag costs 17,50 € per month.
- You need to pay the fee from the first month you’ve been registered in Germany.
- You need to register at the Rundfunkbeitragsservice (organisation) yourself. If you will not register, the organisation will write a letter to you after some month and will demand the money from you.
- Only students, who get BAföG, don’t have to pay. All international students must pay, no matter how long they will stay in Germany or how they finance their studies.
- It depends on the dormitory, if your room in the dormitory is an own flat or if you can register one flat together with your dorm mates.
The Deutsches Studentenwerk has compiled FAQs for students in dormitories: contribution regarding broadcast services - Information for Tenants (pdf)
Website made by international students for international students (Kiel)
In 2016, a project team of international students created a website for international students, that study or want to study at Christian-Albrechts-University of Kiel.
The English Website offers helpful tips and information about organizational matters at CAU and daily life questions in Kiel.